Located in Dong Hoi city, along the scenic Nhat Le river in Quang Binh province, Dong Hoi Citadel played a pivotal role in Vietnam’s history. Originally constructed in 1812 during King Gia Long’s reign, it replaced an earlier fortress built in 1774. Under King Minh Mang in 1824, it was redesigned with a star-shaped, Western-style architecture.
The citadel, with its 1,860-meter perimeter and 4-meter height, features a west-facing 1.35-meter-wide facade, along with three other grand gates, each with eight-roofed towers and well-designed bridges. In 1842, King Thieu Tri further strengthened the citadel, solidifying its historical significance in the region.