Looking for the most romantic things to do in Ho Chi Minh City or seeking a memorable date night idea to express your love and enjoy each other’s company?
We’ve curated a list of the most romantic cafes and restaurants, along with other romantic date night activities within the city. Additionally, we’ve uncovered unique and free date ideas.
Table of Contents
Romantic Restaurants, Bars & Cafes
From the city’s network of hidden alleys to the rebuilt apartments lining the Nguyen Hue Walking Street promenade, Ho Chi Minh is full of romantic cafes and eateries. You need to know where to look, though! Whether you are searching for a romantic night out at a restaurant with your significant other or you are getting to know a new date over coffee, let us guide you through a few of our favorites.
Note that this guide will not focus on Ho Chi Minh City’s nightlife scene, which offers a different, faster-paced type of romance.
1. Enjoy Sunset Drinks with Panoramic City Views
Top Pick: Social Club Saigon
Located on floor 23 of the Hotel des Arts, The Social Club is one of the best rooftop bars in Ho Chi Minh City for dates. It’s not hard to see why, thanks to:
- An incredible location with views of Turtle Lake on one side and the Saigon River on the other.
- The highest infinity pool in Saigon adding to the ambiance.
- A glass suspension bridge connecting The Social Club to Centec Tower, which offers a whole new view of the city skyline.
- A variety of comfortable seating options from standing tables to comfy armchairs.
- Delicious specialty cocktails and gourmet food.
- An even more stunning view of the sunset than at most rooftop bars because of the unobstructed view of Western Saigon.
- Experience ultimate luxury and treat yourself and your loved one to a beautiful sunset from the rooftop bar, followed by an exquisite dinner at the Social Club restaurant on the 23rd floor with breathtaking views.
For all these reasons, the Social Club tops the list of romantic things to do in Ho Chi Minh City.
Address: 76-78 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, District 30
- Related article: 12 Stunning Rooftop Bars Saigon | Sipping In The Sky.
2. Indulge in a Boozy Brunch
Top Pick: The Vintage Emporium
You don’t always need sunset views, candles, or classical musicians playing in the background to be romantic. Sometimes, a fantastic brunch, chic decor, and a delicious menu is enough! The Vintage Emporium has all of that and more, with two outlets in District 1 and District 2 that both feature bistro-style decor, a unique drinks menu, and all-day brunch. Locals and travelers to Vietnam consider this as one of the best date spots in Ho Chi Minh City.
Addresses: 95 Nguyen Van Thu, District 1; 1 Street Number 39, Thao Dien, District 2
3. Chat & Hangout Over Coffee
One of the most famous aspects of Vietnamese culture is the nearly universal love for local coffee. Why not incorporate that into your dating life?
Top Pick: Co Ba Dong Khoi Rooftop Cafe
The Co Ba Dong Khoi is one of Ho Chi Minh City’s hidden gems amongst its numerous coffee shops. The cafe boasts stunning views of both the cityscape and the gently flowing Saigon River, and its old teak furniture and decor creates a backdrop of vintage Saigon. Simply put, the charm factor here is on overdrive, and we all know that quaint little cafes are breeding grounds for romance. Come here with that special someone after you two visit nearby tourist attractions as such the Notre Dame Cathedral and City Hall.
Address: 4-6 Dong Khoi, District 1
- Related Article: 10 Charming “Cafe Apartment” Coffee Shops in Ho Chi Minh City
4. Romantic Night on the Saigon River
A relaxing dinner cruise along the Saigon River is a truly novel date night idea. Not only is it a different way to enjoy the twinkling lights of Ho Chi Minh City reflecting off the water at dusk; it’s also a wonderful way to get to know each other better over a slow, luxurious meal with a romantic candlelit ambience.
Top Pick: Saigon River Cruise
Savor a dreamy dinner cruise on the Saigon River in Vietnam, starting with hotel pickup and a scenic drive through bustling Saigon streets before boarding traditional ship. Choose between two set menus when booking, and indulge in a five-course Vietnamese feast, each dish a flavorful exploration of local cuisine. Glide along the river, admiring the city lights, accompanied by music performances.
Want to spend a memorable night in the Saigon River? Book Your Dinner Cruise with Vietnam Is Awesome.
5. Wine & Dine at Saigon’s Most Fabulous Date Night Restaurants:
Saigon offers various places where you can savor a delightful meal crafted by award winning chefs when you visit Vietnam! While Vietnam is renowned for its street food scene, this dynamic city also boasts numerous high-end establishments perfect for celebrating special occasions.
- Ciao Bella: Treat your partner to comforting and delicious Italian food at one of the best italian restaurants in Saigon! Address: District 1 & Thao Dien
- Racha Room: The Racha Room boasts Thai-heavy Asian cuisine and an intimate and cosy interior, making it a great spot to celebrate your love with drinks or a romantic dinner. Address: District 1 & Thao Dien
- Octo Tapas Restobar: There’s something great about sharing small plates of food; it makes the entire dining experience more intimate and special. Spend your romantic date night at Octo to enjoy an impressive spread of Spanish dishes. Octo was one of the restaurants in Vietnam recognized by Michelin. Address: 75 D. Ho Tung Mau, District 1
- CLAY – Cocktails & Cuisine: Along the Saigon River, CLAY is all about delicious food, good music, and river views for that romantic touch. Address: Thao Dien
- The Deck: A vibey and romantic riverside retreat offering a blend of Pan Asian flavors, fresh seafood platters, and delicious cocktails amidst a picturesque setting. Address: Thao Dien
- Secret Garden 131 Calmette: Discover this hidden oasis for a tranquil, intimate Vietnamese dining experience. Address: District 1
- Madame Lam: Enjoy modern Vietnamese cuisine with a creative twist in a relaxing, stylish setting. Discover their story here. Address: Thao Dien
- Quince Saigon: A Modern European fusion feast with sharing boards and an exciting open kitchen, perfect for foodie couples looking to wine and dine. Address: District 1
- Anan Saigon: For a romantic date with a touch of luxury, Anan Saigon is a Michelin-starred gem. Chef Peter Cuong Franklin’s fusion of modern cooking and traditional street food creates an unforgettable dining experience, perfect for a special evening in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City. Address: District 1
- Truffle Restaurant – Landmark 81: Perched on the 73rd floor of the iconic Landmark 81, Truffle is an ultra luxurious choice for big spenders seeking romance under the Saigon sky. Address: Landmark 81
Something Unique: Romantic Ideas In Ho Chi Minh City
In the mood for something more original than coffee shops or restaurants? We have got you covered with these 5 fun activities to try with your significant other on your next date.
1. Take Dancing Classes
All kinds of couples’ dance lessons are available in Saigon. For example, Saigon Swing Cats in District 1 teaches Americana jazz dances like the Lindy Hop, the West Coast Swing, and the Shap. La Salsa in District 3, which is only open on weekends, teaches salsa and other Latin American dances. Not only will dance build your trust in one another, but the sensual dance moves will surely spice up your date night. It’s a great workout, too!
Addresses: 5 Le Duan, District 1 (Saigon Swing Cats); 212 Nguyen Dinh Chieu, District 3 (La Salsa)
2. Break Free At Inside Xscape Room
If both of you are in the mood for something more thrilling (and, at times, scary) than a traditional date night, put your brains to the test at Inside Xscape Room. An escape room is a great date idea anywhere, as it will get you two working together towards a common goal and will more than likely result in a lot of elated “we did it!” moments.
Inside Xscape Room is located in Phu Nhuan District, a chic and vibrant area of the city. It has five themed rooms, most of which include live actors that will occasionally drop into the rooms during the games to help create a more vivid experience. Make sure to book a room in advance at Inside Xscape’s Facebook if you want to try.
Address: 240 Nguyen Dinh Chin, Phu Nhuan District
3. Watch A Water Puppet Show
A Water Puppets Performance. Photo from Viet Nam National Authority of Tourism
Watching a water puppet show at Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theater is a way for you and your date to drink in the colorful culture of Vietnam while being treated to an evening of refined entertainment. Not only will it be an unforgettable shared experience, but the cool, quiet air in the theater creates a romantic atmosphere for couples.
Address: 55B Nguyen Thi Minh Khai
4. Go to the Saigon Opera House
If other types of performances are more up your alley, take your date to the Saigon Opera House for an acrobatic, ballet, live music, or orchestra show. The Opera House may just be the most elegant example of French Art Deco in the city, and just the building will create a romantic spark. Watching the most talented performers in the country perform on that old historic stage will hopefully turn that spark into a steadily burning fire.
Address: 7 Lam Son, District 1
5. Take A Trip Down The Mekong Delta
This is a great way to see the country together while not venturing too far from Ho Chi Minh City.
Nothing is more romantic than cruising the Mekong Delta in a rowboat with your special someone. The lush green backdrop of provincial Vietnam is an excellent canvas for romance, and that’s especially true in the colorful and fancy-free atmosphere of the Mekong Delta region. Couples can book a guided trip to the Mekong Delta that will include excursions to floating markets, pagodas, and other colonial structures.
- Related article: Best things to do in the Mekong Delta
6. Unwind, Relax and Connect with a Luxurious Spa Date
Take time to unwind, kick back, and bond over a luxurious spa day in Ho Chi Minh City. The city is a spa paradise with options galore for couples—think jacuzzi dips, soothing massages, revitalizing facials, and sauna delights. Feeling alike something out of the ordinary which also supports a social cause? Don’t miss out on the unique experience at Noir Spa in the Dark!
Discover our carefully curated list of Spa’s in Saigon here and treat yourselves to a well-deserved pampering session.
7. Experience Vietnam’s First Capsule Dining Restaurant
Nous offers a departure from the ordinary dining experience and comes highly recommended for celebrating special and intimate occasions. What to expect? – “Soon a captivating scene unfolds, filled with storytelling and intricately delicious food and wine. The capsule keeps you fully immersed and present, forgetting about the bustling city outside. The best part is you can savor each bite as you take this culinary journey. The chefs prepare and plate each exquisite creation right before you. Fresh, subtle, and delicate flavors harmonize, revealing unique, tasty nuances. Almost a theatrical experience.” – Review by Lauren Tracy Pienaar . See the full article here to discover more about this incredible experience: Discover Vietnam’s First Capsule Dining Experience With Chef Nghiem Minh Duc
3 Free Romantic Things To Do In Ho Chi Minh City
Romance does not need to come with a hefty price tag. Look beyond a fancy restaurant, hotels, and even coffee shops. There are plenty of things to do in Ho Chi Minh City that are both light on your wallet and sure to charm your other half.
1. Picnic At Vinhomes Central Park
Both locals and foreigners consider Vinhomes Central Park in Binh Thanh District to be one of the nicest parks in the whole of Ho Chi Minh City. Many come here to relax after their stressful job or to unwind with friends.
With well-maintained lush green lawns and a huge Japanese Garden feature zen ponds, it is a beautiful and peaceful spot for lovers. Pack a picnic full of your date’s favourite snacks, tea, coffee and perhaps even a bottle of Dalat wine. It’s a surefire way to spend a romance-fueled evening.
2. Take A Moonlit Walk At Crescent Lake
Cresent Lake is located right beside the Cresent Mall in District 7. This strip of sidewalk leads to Starlight Bridge, a curved walking bridge that lights up in a rainbow of colors at night. On one side of the bridge is a softly-lit promenade that passes by several highend restaurants, and o the other side is a park where you can rent a go-kart or take a slow walk down stone pathways.
Dubbed the ‘Singapore of Saigon’, this area is particularly clean and well taken care of. Stroll along here under the bright moon for the full romantic effect.
3. Sit By Turtle Lake
With a tower resembling a lotus, little fountains, and many fishes, Turtle Lake has become a hot spot where young adults hang out and buy banh mi from street food vendors while chatting. Come here to sit by the pond and stare into each other’s eyes while the city bustles around you.
The lake is located at the intersection of Vo Van Tan and Pham Ngoc Thach Streets in District 3.
- Related Article: 15 Things To Do In Ho Chi Minh City: The Ultimate Guide
Top Tips from Cupid in Vietnam
If you are looking for romantic nights out with your long-time partner or planning your first date with a new flame – we hope you have a pleasant, fun evening with the following tips:
- Bring a small surprise or gift.
- Take turns to treat each other.
- Treat waitstaff well.
- Be kind, keep an open mind & stay respectful.
- Book your reservation in advance – some of these restaurants get busy.
Happily Ever After
We hope this guide has given you at least a few ideas of where to take your loved one on date night in Ho Chi Minh City! And after you go on your date here in Saigon, why not check out a few of Vietnam’s most romantic getaways?