Old East Gate

The only remaining gate to the old city and now a tourist attraction in the old Quarter area, this arched main gate of the citadel of Thang Long survived to be a nostalgic remembrance of Hanoi’s lengthy history and fight against foreign aggressors.

In the past, there were around 20 different gates to the city, all of them getting closed and guarded at night. This one, O Quan Chuong was named after a chief of the army, built in 1749 and is used to this day by pedestrians and scooter riders as the entrance to the old town. It is decorated with Vietnamese flags and nicely lit in yellow in the evening.

Leave a Comment

Other Attractions