Why are after-school activities important?
After-school activities, also known as extracurricular activities, in addition to normal school, can help to develop a child’s overall personality and maximise their potential!
After spending a long day in an academically rigorous environment, students might need something else to enrich themselves with that is outside the classroom or school community. This gives the students some variety in their schedules and the opportunity to pursue other interests. Such activities can also fuel kids’ creativity, discover their hidden talents, and allow them to interact with new friends. Clearly, extracurricular activities can also give parents a much-needed break!
Of course ‘after-school’ activities are usually organised around 15:00- 16:00 when school has ended for the day, however, some other extracurricular activities might take place before school or during lunch break.
After-school activities and kid-friendly destinations for young kids in Saigon
In Ho Chi Minh City, there are plenty of extracurricular activities and kid-friendly destinations in the community available for young kids to join, play and enjoy:
1. The Snap Cafe
An outdoor playground in a cafe where parents can chill while the kids play.
- Address: 32 Tran Ngoc Dien, Thao Dien
- Phone: +84 2835194532
- Website: https://www.snap.com.vn
An indoor family entertainment centre featuring a miniature city with hands-on, educational activities.
- Address: 02-04 Duong so 9, Him Lam, D7
- Phone: +84 2862641777
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vietopia.com.vn
At Snapology, children are meant to learn through play with lego and robotics models. When children are engaged in interactive, hands-on learning activities, their creativity flourishes.
- Address: 14 Thao Dien Street, Thao Dien
- Phone: +84 2836200050
- Website: https://www.snapology.com
4. Kids Club Saigon
A high-quality, joyful and kid-focused nursery and kindergarten programs that also offers after school programmes in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Address: 79/7 Pham Thai Buong, Phu My Hung, D7
- Phone: +84 854125944
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kcsacademy.vn
Sports and Games
For the kids that have energy to spare, why not enrolling them in sports?
1. Saigon Sports Academy
Great for students who want to enhance their basketball and football skills. SSA’s mission is to bring an international standard of sports coaching and training to the Ho Chi Minh City community.
- Address: 28 Tran Nao, An Phu, D2
- Phone: +84 873031100
- Website: https://ssavietnam.com
2. Vertical Academy
Join one of the most prestigious social clubs in Ho Chi Minh City that offers Saigon’s first indoor rock climbing wall. Good for students, adults, and even professionals alike!
- Address: 789D so 1 Binh An, D2
- Phone: +84 979662015
- Website: https://vertical-academy.com
3. Fox Football Vietnam
A community-based local football club that aims to deliver an international standard of coaching by using qualified international staff and coaches.
- Address: 28 Thao Dien, D2
- Phone: +84 905204073
- Website: http://foxfootballvietnam.com
4. Saigon Sports Club
Saigon Sports Club is the largest mixed martial arts and cross-training center, where your little ones can learn self-defence alongside discipline and respect for others.
- Address: 514B Huỳnh Tan Phat, Bình, D7
- Phone: +84 2837730513
- Website: http://www.saigonsc.vn
Art, Music and More!
Keen for your child to explore their artistic side? Check out the list of places below:
Using a wide range of ‘play and learn’ methods for all ages, Chemistory offers a wide range of classes including cooking and baking.
- Address: S58-2 Sky Garden 3, D7
- Phone: +84 921260150
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChemiStory.vn
2. Performing Arts Academy of Ho Chi Minh City
Their mission is to educate and encourage aspiring and capable children to achieve their goals and dreams in all areas of the performing arts.
- Address: 19A Ngo Quang Huy, Thao Dien, D2
- Phone: +84 862819679
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paa.hcmc/
Using the power and joy of music-making, they help children learn and grow during the years most critical to brain development.
- Address: 214 – 216 Pasteur, D3
- Phone: +84 2871028710
- Website: https://www.kindermusik.com
4. Muse Inc
Talented local DJ artists interacts with students and provides DJ training to kids and adults.
- Address: 72B Le Van Sy, Phu Nhuan Dist
- Phone: +84 902957911
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/museinc.vietnam/
5. Saigon Dance School
Saigon Dance employs competent and passionate teachers who teach students modern dance – no wonder it is as one of the leading dance schools in Ho Chi Minh City!
- Address: 85 Pham Huy Thong, Ward 17, Go Vap Dist.
- Phone: +84 902992361
- Website: https://www.saigondance.vn
6. Spin & Gogh
The ‘do it yourself’ pottery and art studio offers classes for kids to get their hands dirty and enhance their artistic skills.
- Address: 212 Tran Van Tra, Tan Phong Ward, D7
- Phone: +84 938814076
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/spinandgogh/
7. Global Art
Global Art has different programmes ranging from visual arts to comics to clay sculpting – there is something for every student to explore.
- Address: 55 Missiles, Binh Tri Dong B, Binh Tan Dist.
- Phone: +84 868273341
- Website: http://vietnam.globalart.world/about-us/
Every child should be encouraged to pursue their interest! From sports to cooking, art to robotics, we hope this list helps you to find something fun for your child to do outside of school. Check out our list of resources to help navigate life in Ho Chi Minh City.