This full-day trip is a perfect choice for those who want a deeper insight into the 20th century history of Việt Nam.
It’s a combined tour, half day city and half day Củ Chi tunnels, which has been suggested by many tourists.
You not only gain more information about the Việt Nam War, but you can also witness what was once one of the biggest battlefields in the world, to understand more about a small country whose endurance through many wars during its 4000-year history has given us a peaceful day like today.
- Full-day history and culture tour of Sài Gòn – Hồ Chí Minh City
- Admire the French colonial architecture of Saigon Notre-Dame Cathedral and the Central Post Office.
- Learn about the Vietnam War at the Reunification Palace, the War Remnants Museum, and the tunnels of Củ Chi.
- Learn about life in Việt Nam during the wartime and see bomb craters and tank remains.
About this activity
Cancel up to 48 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Your guide and driver will pick you up at your hotel. We will visit the following places of interest:
Independence Palace (*) was rebuilt after an unsuccessful coup by bombing in 1962 that destroyed almost the entire old building, which had been built by the French colonial government in 1871. During the Việt Nam War (1955 – 1975), this was also well known as The Presidential Palace, the most powerful symbol of South Việt Nam until April 30, 1975.
War Remnants Museum (*), a must-see attraction for most visitors, was founded on September 4, 1975. It was first named “Exhibition House for U.S. and Puppet Crimes”. In 1990, the name was changed to “Exhibition House for Crimes of War and Aggression”. In 1995, a week before an announcement by the U.S. President, Bill Clinton, for the normalization of diplomatic relations, the name was changed to War Remnants Museum, as we all know it now.
Central Post Office, built between 1886 and 1891, is one of the best examples of classical French colonial architecture mixing with Eastern decoration style. There are two painted maps that were created just after the Post Office was built, one map is titled “Telegraphic lines of Southern Việt Nam and Cambodia 1892” and the other is titled “Sài Gòn and its surroundings 1892”.
Notre Dame Cathedral of Sài Gòn, constructed between 1863 and 1880, has two bell towers, reaching a height of 58 meters (190 feet). Most of the original building materials were imported from France. After nearly 140 years in use, the building has been in renovations since July 2017, which will continue until the end of 2023. During this time, we are not able to go inside, but a beautiful view from outside is also worth paying a visit.
Jade Emperor Pagoda, built in 1909 in honor of the supreme Taoist God, is one of the most spectacularly atmospheric temples in Sài Gòn. There are many ancient works of art for worship, such as paintings, statues, panels,and exquisite carvings… made from wood, pottery, and pasteboard.
After a few hours of discovering the city, you will enjoy your lunch at a local restaurant before we drive about 1,5 hours through the pleasant countryside. We will arrive at the Bến Đình tunnels, Củ Chi, having stopped along the way for refreshments and a toilet.
Upon arrival, you’ll watch a brief of propaganda video, which explains how the tunnels were used to successfully defeat American military forces in combat.
The tour continues and the guide explains some traps that were placed in the jungles of Việt Nam to either maim American soldiers or create panic amongst the ranks.
From here, you can enter one of the tunnel entrances and crawl through the tunnels, a real experience to imagine how people could live there for an extended period!
There is a shooting range where you can try to fire an automatic or semi-automatic weapon for a fee (this fee is not included).
Take some rest at the end for a taste of Củ Chi boiled tapioca and thinking what humans are capable of when having to defend their homes.
We drive back to Hồ Chí Minh City and complete the tour by taking you back to the pickup point. End of services.
- Private AC transfer
- Vietnamese English-speaking guide
- All admission fees
- Bottles of drinking water
- Boiled tapioca and local tea
- Lunch (Vietnamese set menu)
- Local taxes, fees and handling charges
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (applied for all places in District 1, 3, 4, Bình Thạnh, Phú Nhuận).
- Personal expenses
- Tips and Gratuities (recommended)
- Drinks (beer, soft drinks…)
- Travel insurance
- From 12 years old up: pay as an adult.
- From 5 – 11 years old: Pay 75%
- Under 5 years old: Free of charge. However, only one under-five free admission per booking. If you have more than one under-fives, the others pay 50% each.
- Within 24 hours before departure: Guests pay 100%
- From 24 – 48 hours before departure: Guests pay 50%
- Prior to 48 hours before departure: Guests pay 20%